Anyone who works in technical support is familiar with some of the incredibly funny situations that can arise on the phone when dealing with customers. I was recently shown an entire website of computer stupidities, many of which made me laugh out loud, for real. Take a look, unless you've called tech support because you don't understand your computer, in which case you may find yourself on the list.
It turned out that the guy had been deleting files, which would free up disk space (he liked that), and when he wanted a file again, he would undelete it. Apparently he actually got away with this for a while, until he discovered 'defrag', which overwrote his deleted files.
- Customer: "I lost some of my files. I archived them, but when I went to retrieve them, they were gone!"
- Tech Support: "What program did you use to archive your files?"
- Customer: "I used DOS -- but now I can't find them!"
- Tech Support: "Ok, what program are you using to do this?"
- Customer: "I used 'undelete', but they aren't there."
- Tech Support: "Uh...what command did you use to archive your files?"
- Customer: "I used 'del' and the filename."
If you have your own stories, make sure to share.